Thursday, October 6, 2011

We are still sitting at Port San Luis, waiting for the conditions to improve. It's sunny and windy outside, slightly cool, and I am sitting in the bar where I can get internet reception. I am sitting on a stool, at a table, looking out the window towards the bay. It is a little bluer than what I would see in Oregon, but still has a silver quality to it. The wind is creating a lot of texture on the surface, and there are many boats sitting there at anchor. The sky is mostly blue, with low level cumulus clouds in the distance. Way out to the south, on the horizon, I imagine that  I can see Pt. Arguello, which with Pt. Conception makes a huge cape that we have to get around before entering the Santa Barbara channel.
I realized yesterday that I have not been in a car or on a highway in quite some time - a revelation that pleases me. Pondering this, I started thinking about how much I have left the world behind - and it occurred to me that I have not seen any news since we left Portland on September 8th. Am I okay with that? Thanks to Facebook, email, and my cell phone, I am still in contact with my people, and so I don't feel detached from the world. So I suppose it's fair to say that my world is my people, or my people are my world. I sympathize with people having problems in the wider world, but right now, there's just nothing that I can do to help them, so it doesn't bother me to not really now everything that's going on out there. I am happy to work on my relationship with my boat mates, with the people that we meet along the way, and with my people that I remain connected with through the internet. I truly believe that we are all connected - in fact, that we are one - and even with this belief, it's amazing how much I miss seeing some of my loved ones back home. You know who you are!
And yet, there is no other place that I would rather be, and nothing that I would rather be doing. This is one hell of an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment